If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Self confidence can be one of the hardest things to find, so you can easily imagine how excited I was when I found a great way to easily give it a huge kick up the butt in as little as 3 ½ minutes of your time. Even better, it can be used in a variety of situations or places and can give you a timely boost exactly when you need it.
After you start to use this simple system, you will find the effects quite addictive as you become more and more confident in a variety of situations. You will go from strength to strength.
The idea originally came about having read the 30 second elevator pitch on DLM. Suddenly I started thinking of the situations that this could be applied in and I uncovered a subtle and natural power within in it. I discovered that “if you make the speech answer a quality that you want to see in yourself, then you will in fact be able to create that quality”.
I am a teacher, so I to decided to try and craft a pitch to convince someone what a great teacher I was. It wasn’t that great the first time around, but within a few minutes it was 10x better and I had in fact convinced myself what a great teacher I was. I went to work and naturally had a mind-blowing day.
When you are making this short pitch to yourself the first thing to focus on is using action words to create movement and power (create, build, explode, slash, unleash, revolutionize, uncover, spread etc.).
The second thing is to consider the power of words and positive presuppositions in order to get the most out of your 30 seconds.
Using these 2 key factors, these are the 5 basic steps you need to take.
- Make a 30 second speech in your head imagining you are convincing someone about whatever quality you want to have (30 seconds)
- Review what you said and think of the things you want to add but missed (1 minute)
- Make the speech again, this time out loud and including the new ideas (30 seconds)
- Pause and think how to add some more bang using power words and words of action (1 minute)
- Make the speech a last time out loud using the additional power (30 seconds)
That’s in. It’s what I did and in 3 and a half minutes I had given myself a huge and natural confidence boost that I could go back to time and time again. After this I felt like I was buzzing. I was truly pumped up about how great I was, I had discovered the self belief within myself about being a teacher.
Having done this I started to think of all the situations it could be used in and that is when I discovered how much power it truly had. Just consider these situations where this technique could easily be used:
- Why should you be the girl to go and chat to that hot guy?
- Why you should be given this job?
- Why you are such a great blogger?
- Why you are going to be the one out of many to actually carry out this exercise program?
Just imagine you have 30 seconds to convince someone of your ability in these situations and soon your mind will start creating the answers. You can use this simple method for any situation you want.
- Take the result you want to achieve.
- Create the situation where you have to convince someone of why you have this talent or your ability to achieve the result.
- Go through the 5 steps above to hone it and then you will have this speech ready at your disposal to convince yourself.
Basically it acts like an extended and more powerful affirmation. Give it a go and be ready to be surprised by the changes you will go through.
Spend 3 and half minutes to create a self-pitch on your biggest area of desire and enjoy your new self belief